Friday, November 4, 2011

Knitting goals.

Every year I see people set their knitting goals and making these grandiose plans about what they are going to knit in the coming year. There are groups and threads on Ravelry for different things - 11 sweaters in 2011, 11 pairs of socks in 2011, 11 in 2011 (for 11 goals apparently), 11 in 2011 (for spinning), 11 shawls in 2011, 11 hats in 2011 - the list goes on and on and on. I always wonder how many people complete the goals. I know some do. I've got friends doing the 11 pairs of socks in 2011 that have completed that goal already (Not me! I have completed 2 pairs).
That leads me to wonder how they have the power to stick to it. There are so many things I want to make, and so many new things that will come along in the next year. I don't know how I'd stick to it. I know that there is already talk of what the 2012 goals will be - 12 of this or that in 2012. I wonder what this people will do when it is 2020 *laugh*.
This train of thought came about from watching old episodes of the knitgirllls podcast (trying to catch up but I'm at 31 so I have a ways to go - maybe that should be my goal). Leslie and Laura were discussing goals for the coming year (would be this year since they are last years videos). What they would knit or participate in. Very shortly after watching that a friend on a group started talking about doing 12 pairs of socks in 2012. Of course that is mind boggling to me because I have TWO pairs done. Yep, just two pairs. One of those pairs was for my 3 year old daughter (shhh, don't tell!). I don't think I could commit to making 12 of something...I want to be able to knit lots of different things, ya know? And I'll be honest, as soon as I say, "I'm going to make this and this and this." I want to do something else. I think I have knitting commitment phobia.
That leads me to this: what will my knitting goals be for the coming year.....I don't know. I am tossing some ideas around though. I have recently gone through my stash and looked at all my yarn. I've moved some of it to my destash on Ravelry to sell and others I've lovingly fondled and started dreaming about all the things I want to make with it. Since I have so much fingering weight/sock yarn (it seems like a TON) and yet am so slow on the socks I think I should use it for other things - sweaters for little girl, shawls, whatever. I also have the Sock-Yarn One Skein Wonders book that has lots of cute ways to use a skein of sock yarn. Seems like a perfect combination to me. I think I will go through it and pick out lots of things I love and that are pretty....and then maybe I'll knit a few of them. Or not. Maybe I'll think about knitting a few of them. I do, after all, have a year long subscription to Three Irish Girl's Sock Yarnista sock yarn club. So I should really do something with all those gorgeous sock yarn's sitting there waiting to be loved.
Of course I also have a ton of unspun fiber sitting here giving me sad puppy dog looks. It has been sorely neglected. I really need to practice my spinning and get to know my wheel better - why it does what it does, and why it doesn't always do what I want it to. So maybe I should have a spinning goal.
And I did find the Stash Down A- Z group on Ravelry. That looked like a fun way to really use your stash and knit some of the things sitting in the ginormous queue I have.
See, just too many things to do, too much fun to be had. But the more I commit to the more likely I am to run the other way and be overwhelmed by it all.
I guess I will think on it for a bit and see what sounds the most fun.
What are your knitting goals going to be for 2012? 12 shawls, 12 pairs of socks, 12 pounds of spun fiber....or just knitting and having fun with it? Or perhaps you love a challenge and your list contains all of the above?

No comments:

Post a Comment